Monday, July 03, 2006

Watch list for week of 7-3-06

The nasdaq summation index $NASI has turned positive over the last couple of days, so if I had to guess I'd say that short term bias is probably up, but volume will probably be light due to July 4.

I had a relaxing weekend sitting around coding the market modelling software with my cohort Brandon, and IM'ing Michael Taylor. Michael is moving to Missouri! I'm stoked about it.

Brandon and I spent most of Saturday looking at a problem that occurs when generating weekly bars in my model. The problem was manifesting when we were truncating remainders off of the date of the weekly bar when the week was split across two consecutive years. For example: the week of Sunday December 29, 2002 runs into 2003 and is actually the 53'rd week of 2002. I'll be damned if we didn't find a bug in the Java API. I spent Saturday night until about 2 am coding around it, but until Sun fixes this problem it could rear its head in other places down the road.

There's nothing like crafting science in Java and throwing back some Budweisers with a Morlack chill/goa set playing. I just forget all about time and life is never better.

I'm considering making my market homework software available for free. In the past year since I originally created it I've developed far more sophisticated tools for analysing markets, so it no longer feels "cutting edge" to me. I think making it available to everybody would resolve a lot of issues for me. I would feel like I've paid my dues to everybody who I've learned from over the years without the headaches of open-sourcing the project. It would also level the playing field just a tiny bit more for people who can't program things like that for themselves. I made the market homework software with these things in mind:
  • Keep an eye on the strongest stocks without me having to look at their charts each day.
  • To watch when the public isn't watching.
  • Identify breakout candidates before they break out and show me their charts in an accessible manner.
  • Avoid showing me charts whose price is extended up or down.
  • Avoid showing me charts that are plunging (no chance for an uptrend).

Before I make a decision on whether or not to make the market homework software available, I have to speak with Brandon about it. I've been using the report from the market homework software as an excuse to write to the blog regularly, but I don't really want to do that any more. I think the blog would be even better if I only posted when I had something really good to say, sort of like how Michael Taylor runs his blog. The only way I can figure to do this and keep everybody happy is to give to my readers the means to run the market homework software on their own master watch list whenever they want. That way we're all free to focus on what I really love about the markets: deconstructing how they work for the purposes of exploitation ;D

Anyway, here are the highlights from my market homework software this weekend:

3 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Michael Taylor said...

Hey Jon, thanks for the kind words! Enjoyed our discussion this weekend. And looking forward to living in Missouri. Hopefully, we can bounce more system ideas off each other over a few cold ones. :)

Happy 4th!

MT

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Victor Martindale said...

Jon: Just started reading your blog and I find it a source of excellent ideas and enriching insights. Thank you very much, Victor

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous syl said...

looking forward to seeing the market software open to public use. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home