Monday, March 13, 2006

Watch list for week of 3-13-06

Here's the usual weekend update. This weekend I saw the strongest list of bases that I've seen since December 2005:



My favorite two bases are that nice consolidation on TRE, and the high-tight flag on GIGM's weekly chart. I'll probably be buying these two stocks next week.

For anybody who might be wondering, last week I sold the RURL that I bought due to a break of support. The stock may recover and move higher over the next few months, but I'd rather be in stocks that are being supported at technical price levels.

I spent most of this weekend re-writing my "OhlcTools" java market software project using java 1.5 and junit under the new name "Market Objects". I spent some time last week looking through sourceforge at the open source java projects for modelling financial markets and all of them were either not targetted as an object oriented framework for modelling financial markets, or weren't mature enough for me to want to use.

The new features of java 1.5 solve a lot of the design issues that "OhlcTools" had with object oriented modeling of market data. Here are some examples:

  • Enumerated data type for "trade direction", giving each direction "long" and "short" explicit and meaningful values. Also, no other value can be assigned to the "trade direction" variable, as enforced by java 1.5. In java 1.4 I had to use a boolean value "true" for long and "false" for short to keep it simple, but it was semantically ugly.
  • Lists of OHLC bar data are now strongly typed, so you can no longer stick any arbitrary object into the middle of an OHLC bar series thanks to java 1.5's generics support.


There are a lot of other changes for the better but I won't be going into all of them here. Due to this strategic re-write decision, I have to scrap the tutorial that I spent hours snapping pictures and cropping onto a webpage, but it is for the better. When the "Market Objects" is mature enough, I'll make a new tutorial including an introduction to the Eclipse IDE. It won't be for a while though because I've got to rebuild all my existing tools using the new object oriented framework. I'm very excited about how scalable the project will be due to the extensive unit tests that I've written this time around. I won't have to worry about breaking anything when I want to make a small change, add a new feature, or fix a bug, and other developers will have an easier decision to invest their time into the project because they will be able to verify that the code works according to specification by running the tests and adding some of their own if they choose.

For the past couple of months I have put off re-doing the .css file for the website I'm developing to go along with the open source project "Market Objects", various articles, and other software projects I'm developing. The good news is that the .css works with Internet Explorer, the bad news is that it doesn't work with Firefox. If any web design gurus are interested in contributing to the site by either redo'ing the .css that I've got so that it will also work with firefox, or creating a new .css from scratch, please send me an email.

6 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Hey, great list! They could ALL go on my SAR/DMI watch list for possible buy signals. GIGM just flipped yesterday.

Great work as always.

From StockMonster

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Technicator said...

Check out $COPPER...triple cup base...ur fav.

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Ryan said...

Great call on GIGM... I think there is more to come on the upside with this one.

I hope you're right about ANX. Come on ANX..time to bust out!

Ryan
pick24.com

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Dan said...

yep, great call on GIGM Jon. I'm hoping for the upside potential on March 23 when they release earnings.

BTW, I'd love to upgrade your site using css to make it compatible for the gecko engine...Let me know...

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Ryan said...

Well, ANX did blow up a little today on news. :)

Ryan
pick24.com

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger real1 said...

I like gold but TRE is extremely speculative and might be overvalued. The chart looks a bit tired... But then, who knows !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home