Monday, February 13, 2006

Watch list for week of 2-13-06

The list from my market homework software this weekend is quite small again. With all the stocks that have pulled back lately, you'd think there would be more attractive bases and consolidations than there are. For any new readers, let me explain that my market homework software has been written to identify stocks that are near technical price support and shouldn't fall much from their current levels if they are healthy enough for me to be interested in owning. Because it doesn't take much of a drop in price to tell me whether the stock is good or not, it presents a low risk buying opportunity for me. However, usually I just watch the stocks that I list here without buying them, so just because I list a stock doesn't mean that I recommend buying or selling it. So here's this week's list:



Gorden Gekko at the Knight Trader sent along a handful of stocks that he's watching right now, and the most interesting one I saw was ABP.

On another front, it has been very interesting to read the systems development blog posts over at The Taylor Tree and Dayve Johnson's blog. If you haven't seen these yet, head on over.

2 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, great site! Thanks for posting your picks. Can you give me more details on what you screen for? What software do you use?

Thanks,

Andrew

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger jontait said...

Andrew,

Glad you like the blog. I wrote the screening software in java using an open-source financial markets software library (I also developed that). I'm in the middle of writing some detailed web tutorials for the open-source library, and access to them will be completely free. Anybody who is interested in learning to program their own screening software and trading systems will probably be interested in this project. More details will follow in the near future, but I can tell you this: you don't need a programming background to learn this stuff, just a solid grasp of navigating your operating system and a willingness to invest your time.

In case you can't tell, I'm pretty excited about getting this out to everybody, but I still have a few hurdles left to jump. I need to redesign my website (not this blog) so that it supports the Firefox browser, and I still have about six hours of work left before I finish the first tutorial. The first tutorial is a complete walkthrough of getting a year's worth of price history of a stock (OHLC + volume), and computing its 50 day simple moving average. It's easy to see how this is a huge step towards the creation of your own technical analysis screening software...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home