Sunday, November 13, 2005

Watch list for week of 11-14-05 and website news

In case anybody was wondering, I'm not dead, and this blog is not dead. I haven't posted much over the last couple weeks because I've been spending extra time working on getting together the website I talked about earlier in the year. After dozens of painful hours researching and testing, I've hammered out almost all of the technical problems that I expect to encounter with the hosting service and web technologies I'm using, so expect to see some very cool stuff soon :D For example, this watch list that I manually post each weekend. It is going to be automated, and available fresh each day in an even easier to view format. No more tedious posting by hand for me. That will free up my time and blog space for dissecting charts, doing book reviews, and discussing some of the more interesting contents from the links on the right. I will also be open-sourcing the api that I am designing as a foundation for a backtesting and automated trading platform. This api makes it trivial to scan and manipulate ohlc and tic data, and to generate trading simulations in java. The advantage to doing it this way rather than using something like tradestation or wealthlab is that you can incorporate neural networks, genetic algorithms, and any other advanced algorithm you can conceive into your data mining. In the java environment, time and personal creativity are the only limits.

Not only am I a blogger, but I am also an armchair philosopher, moonlight gamer, and pillager of science for my own benefit. I forsake mathematics in favor of the more functional computer programming descriptions of science. Academic longbeards despise me, but that's ok. I like to do things on my own terms, and that is what my up-and-coming website is going to be all about. I hope to inspire people to do great things in the markets, and in all other endeavors of life. I feed off of that energy. Just like this blog, don't expect ads or subscription fees (until I sell out, fickle remember?). Everything I have ever studied with a passion culminates here and will continue to evolve over the coming years. The website will be the beachhead of my campaign for a more satisfying life. It isn't about money, it is about achieving a mastery of the fundamental dynamics governing our reality. Here is a website by somebody who has done just that. This is also the path I am on, but I'm only 24 years old so I have a ways to go.

I hope that tirade was bearable. Here are the highlights from my market homework software this weekend:



There are some pretty decent bases, but the nasdaq only has about 60 points to the top of the channel it is in on its weekly chart. Buying at the tops of channels is dangerous business. I did that in TRE last week and got shook out right at Friday's low. I bought at the top of the channel a few days prior, expecting a gap-up breakout the next day. It didn't happen, and my mistake was to hold when my expectations for the trade were not fulfilled.

12 Comments:

At 4:05 AM, Blogger Declan Fallon said...

Keep the good work up Jon. Your stock base scan is one of the best I have seen across the blogosphere. I have a position in EFJI myself.

Happy trading,
Declan

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome. With a daily watch list, it's going to feel like Christmas every day.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger jontait said...

Thanks guys :D

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Declan Fallon said...

Have I Jinxed EFJI - breakdown from consolidation triangle...

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger jontait said...

No such thing as jinx, but I would say that it doesn't look as attractive as it did yesterday. It may still close healthy, but it could also get a lot worse.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Matt Norris said...

Jon,

Just seeing how you've been. I've been out of the market for a few months because of my workload. Just haven't felt like I've had the time to properly monitor my positions (at least I got out while I was up significantly, ha-ha).

Also, wanted to point out my new blog:

mortgagecents.blogspot.com

I decided that if I'm going to maintain a site like this, I may as well keep it on-topic with something that I have knowledge about. Alot of financially-minded individuals should be able to find some good information about mortgages, property investing, etc. on this blog in the coming months.

Drop me an e-mail at mattn@gmghomeloans when you have time.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Gordengekko said...

Jon-

Have a look at NVAX for a potential swing/daytrade.

Gekko

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Gordengekko said...

Jon-

SLW is looking good here to me. Have a look at SLW. Too bad you got flushed out on TRE. I am in at 2.57 and added at 2.87 and added at 3.08

Gekko

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Gordengekko said...

Jon-

BGO looks great here as gold is trading up so have a look at BGO.

Gekko

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger jontait said...

Matt: Cool blog.

GG: Thanks for the heads-up on those symbols.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Gordengekko said...

Jon-

SWSI seems like it is your speed so have a look at the chart.

Gekko

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger jontait said...

GG,

SWSI has to be one of the cleanest bases I've seen in a while. Thanks for the heads-up. This is definetely the kind of stock I love to trade :D

-Jon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home